Formerly a rubber estate, the institute was acquired in 1934 from K. Borup, a Danish farmer. It became the headquarters of research division of the Department of Agriculture in 1937 with a mandate to conduct research on coffee, tea, cotton and native food crops. The 630 hectare station located13km north of Kampala became the hub for scientific investigations for African agriculture to make it more productive and economically viable.
The institute has undergone several transformations both in naming and core research mandates and activities over the years. Currently, it is one of the six National Agricultural Research Institutes (NARIs established by the NAR Act 2005) under the dispensation of the National Agricultural Research organization.
Conducting research and providing services on soils, agro-meteorology and Environment; bananas; biosystems and agricultural engineering; food science and agribusiness; and biodiversity and biotechnology
Our Goal: Agricultural productivity and household incomes increased through use of improved technologies and practices
Implementation of activities is organized in five research programmes and an information and documentation unit supported by an administration unit:
Core Values of NARL:
Institute expected outputs
NARL’s activities are premised on the following outputs:
To be a centre of excellence generating and promoting appropriate agricultural technologies
To generate and promote agricultural technologies and improve productivity, value addition, income and food security